Saturday, August 4, 2012

Surprise- I am a culinary genius.


Who knew? 

Day 1 was rough but days 2 and 3 definitely made up for it. 

Sure I have made small substitutions or omissions in recipes, but 95% of the time I am a die hard recipe follower. So it is with great pride I announce that this is truly the first time I have ever had a culinary idea without looking something up, and just went for it. BAM!
Being limited to a local diet forces you to be creative with your food. The most exciting part is where it can take you. The band the White Stripes only have two instruments because they like the creative challenge of being limited to only the tools that they have. I imagine I am riding a similar wave of creative genius.

I don’t want to call it too early but this might be my '7nation army'. 

 Cashew and wheat eggplant slices

½ cup Fresh ground wheat from Castor River Farm
½ cup Ground cashews
1 egg
Salt
1 Eggplant
Butter

Peel and slice eggplant then sprinkle it with salt and let it sit for about 1 hr. In the meantime, use a food processor to chop the cashews and combine with the wheat. Then dry off the eggplant and dip it in the egg followed by the breading mixture. Using a large pan on low to medium heat, melt the butter then cook the eggplant for 10-12 min on each side or until soft. Don’t cook it too hot or else the butter and cashews will burn. 

I used this as a side dish with some pan fried tofu with herb seasoning and raw veggies. Perfection.  

Ok I might have had some help with the fine details, you know who you are.

1 comment: