Friday, August 17, 2012

May or may not have eaten ½ a pan of apple crisp.


Ok my family did help me eat some of this.
After a few weeks of eating perfectly healthy- no treats, no processed foods- I was craving sugar and crashing pretty hard. It was a frenzy that could have snowballed into me eating a pound of gummy bears and  an entire bag of cheezies. Don’t fret, your ever cool and collected locavore channelled this frenzy into baking a local apple crisp and then shovelled it into her face.   

I had to bend a couple rules but I assure you it was the safer more local path.  The sugar in this recipe is from Scarbouough- approximately 380 km away. The cinnamon is a souvenir my parents brought home from a recent trip to the Dominican. It was local when they bought it and they were travelling home anyways.  

Oh and about that whole question of will I gain or lose weight—I’m thinking gain. 

Grandma Sadler’s Secret Family Best Ever Apple Crisp Recipe- with a locavore twist.  

6 cut up medium sized apples
2/3 cup sugar
½ cup fresh ground flour
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 ½ cup rolled oats
¾ cup sugar
½ cup melted butter

Butter the baking dish and preheat the oven to 375. Sprinkle the first amount of sugar on the cut apple. Mix the flour, oats, cinnamon and sugar. Add the melted butter and mix it until crumbly. Spread the crust on top of the apples and bake for 30min. Try not to eat the whole pan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment