Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A locavore tribute to John Cusack.


I love John Cusack.  I can only assume that being from Illinois- a state with vast prairies and lots of agriculture- he understands the importance of a local diet and would indeed support my challenge. And, to that end, probably ask me to marry him if we ever met.


It is also possible that I have just watched High Fidelity way too many times this month. 


For those who don’t know High Fidelity is a film from 2000 starring John Cusack. He plays a record store owner going through a breakup. I won’t spoil the ending- but I will recommend that if you have not seen this movie you should go watch it immediately! In the movie he makes all kinds of top 5 lists top 5 jobs, top 5 songs on a Monday morning, top 5 breakups, top 5 etc... You get the idea. 

Sometimes I get caught in moods where I watch the same movie 5 or 6 times over the course of a couple weeks. It usually coincides with big changes in my life or times when I am really emotional and stressed out. I find some sort of comfort and peace in the repetition and predictability of it. 

Inspired by repeated viewings- My top 5 locavore lists!

Top 5 things I like about being a locavore

1. I can now tell the difference between all these tomatoes. 
2. I have not stepped foot in a big grocery store. 
3. Writing this blog! 
4. The satisfaction of preparing and eating an inspired meal.
5. Corn. Cooked corn on the cob, raw corn on the cob, popcorn and corn chowder.
                                                               
Top 5 things I don’t really like about being a locavore

1. No convenient snack or fast food.  
2. Is gum a food?? Can I still chew gum? 
3. The frequent trips to the ladies room. 
4. Discovering that the cashews and tofu I thought were local are actually only processed locally. At least they are organic but none the less not as local as I initially believed.
5. Saying no to organic vegan chocolate cake 

 Here is the recipe for the Corn Chowder I made tonight. 
 
1 Tbsp butter
1 tbsp of bacon grease (or  butter for vegetarian option)
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 clove of garlic
3 cobs of corn, cut the kernels off the cobs
3 1/2 cups milk
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 small red bell pepper, chopped 
1 tsp salt 
1 tsp herb seasoning 

 In a large pot, melt the butter and grease. Add the onion and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until soft. Add the carrot and celery and cook for 4 or 5 more minutes. Break the corn cobs in half and add them to the saucepan. Add the milk and bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover the pot and cook for 30 minutes. Make sure the heat is as low as can be and still maintain a gentle simmer to prevent scalding the milk on the bottom of the pan. Discard the cobs. Raise the heat, add the potatoes, red pepper, salt, and herbs. Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost fork tender. Raise the heat, add the corn kernels. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment