Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Apparently eating local, never frozen, small scale farm, hormone and antibiotic free beef still makes a vegetarian sick.


Ugh there is no stomach ache worse than the feeling of partially digested meat wrenching through your guts. I think I could actually feel the mass move through every inch of my small and large intestines. I guess it was worth it?? 

I have been a vegetarian for almost 3 years and I have not eaten beef for 4 years… until now.

Jessie the vegetarian – Ready for the rant? 

Elk Sausage BBQ dinner for 2.
People become vegetarians and vegans for many different reasons. Personally,  I enjoy meat and I don’t think there is anything wrong with eating meat as part of a balanced diet.  I am a vegetarian because I am boycotting the modern meat industry. Modern day factory farm keeps animals in filthy over-crowded feed lots. The animals are hormones drugs to fatten them up and antibiotics to keep them alive in  otherwise toxic environments.  When they have endured this existence long enough the animals are packed into a truck and deprived of food and water while being transported. Upon arrival at the slaughter house termination is crude and animals can still be alive when the processing begins. From an environmental perspective, eating a vegetarian diet is one of the best ways to reduce your carbon footprint. Carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide are together responsible for the changes in the atmosphere associated with climate change. Raising animals for food is one of the largest sources of carbon dioxide and the single largest source of both methane and nitrous oxide emissions.  

While researching this local food challenge I had to identify possible protein sources and consider setting my vegetarianism aside to eat (some) meat from small scale local farmers. Ultimately, I decided to eat meat. Working at the Ottawa Farmers Market I have met some amazing meat producers that love their animals, make sure they have a great safe life and respectfully do the dirty deed. I appreciate what they do and I want to support them. 

Also, I recently found out that the cashews and tofu I thought were local protein sources are actually only processed and packaged locally. Don’t get me wrong locally processed and packaged is pretty good.However, considering I can get local protein from other sources ie, meat, eggs, dairy, I will certainly use less of the tofu and cashews.   
Honestly, popcorn is a frequent dinner choice.

 
The recipe- Gut Wrenching Beef Stew.

1 pound stewing beef
a sprinkle or two sea salt
a few carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
a few potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
a few onions, peeled and roughly chopped
3 tomatoes
1/2 bottle red wine
few sprigs fresh rosemary- I used lots because I love rosemary
2 cobs of corn- corn cut off the cob.  

Brown the beef in a frying pan and set aside. In a pot add half of the vegetables—reserving the other half— salt, rosemary, water, naked corn cobs and wine. Let simmer for 50 min. Then let the mixture cool slightly and blend it in a food processor. Return the blended soup to the pot and add the remaining veggies and beef. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 15 minutes. In the last 10 minutes add the corn.  Enjoy.  

Sorry-I forgot to take a picture of the stew. My brother ate 2 bowlfuls so I promise it was super good!  




No comments:

Post a Comment